Wednesday, September 25, 2013

My Kind of Man

Yesterday a man asked me what kind of men I am attracted to.  I found that very difficult to answer, but now a picture is beginning to emerge.  I am drawn to men with anxiety issues.  Men like the one who asked the question.  Men like the Ex.

I don't know where this began.  With the ex?  Before the ex?  Who knows.  S says I have a caregiver personality, that that is who I am.  I question whether I should even try to change that.  Is it really so unhealthy?  Is there a way to make it more healthy?

This morning I got a text message from the man who asked the question, saying he was feeling "crushed under the weight of loneliness."  I feel for him in his anxiety, but it is not my task to make him feel better.  He says I am working through something psychological and I am, but so is he.  He says he feels calmer focusing on others -- and I think that is because then he isn't focused on himself. I have compassion for his suffering.  I will try to help as far as I am asked and able, but the digging and remodeling is his alone.  Just as mine is mine alone.

Couldn't these be thoughts from a healthy caregiver?  Couldn't this be a glimpse that there is such a thing as just anxious enough, just nurturing enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment