Monday, August 19, 2013

Sex Date Chronicles, Episode I: The Condom Incident

I thought I should bring condoms, since I couldn't guarantee he would have them.  I went to the CVS when I was sure to have two or three other things to buy, and late enough in the afternoon that the Curious Nona of the self-checkout wasn't working.

After a bit of confusion in the family planning aisle, (what do they mean, "pleasant scent?") I settled on a small packet of three condoms, tucked it behind my other purchases, and headed to the self-checkout.

Now, I know I have nothing to be ashamed of.  I'm a grown-ass woman in my 40s.  I have sex. (Or, rather, I want to.) And I am being responsible about it.  This should be the opposite of embarrassing.  This should give me the same feeling as when I bring my own bags to the grocery.  But, since this country got the Puritans and the Tea Party, I am trying to be discreet about the whole thing.  So, I slip up to a self-checkout station, out of notice of the (male) self-checkout minder.  I quickly scan the condoms and drop them into a bag.  Scot free!

Until the assistance light starts flashing, telling me the coupon box is full.  Coupon box? I didn't use a coupon.  I look around, stuff some loose papers down into the coupon box.  The light still flashes. I have to ask the minder.  And, of course, as soon as he steps over, the light stops flashing, and the self-checkout is sweetly ready to serve me.  I say a polite thank you and start to scan my other items.

"Did it scan what's in the bag?" the minder says.

"Huh?"

Before I can think, the minder reaches into my bag and pulls out the condoms.  Which didn't, in fact, scan.  Now I'm a potential thief.  I grab them out of his hand.  Snatch them, more like.  (Hee hee.  "Snatch.") "I'll do it," I say, in exactly the same tone and volume my 3-year-old nephew used when talking about his shoes.

Mortified, but trying my best to look like some confident, sex-positive uber-MILF, I complete my purchase and scuttle out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment